Air-borne diseases (droplet infections)
bacteria causing pneumonia, lepra etc.
Viruses: Influenza, Varicella (=chicken-pox), Morbilli (= measles), mumps, etc.
Of those listed above, practically eradicated in Hungary:
diphteria, whooping cough, lepra, measles (vaccination!)
- healthy people may be infected by inhaling pathogens which get out from infected people during speaking, sneezing or coughing
- may be transmitted indirectly, by touching objects that had previously contacted infectious respiratory secretions (pl. chicken-pox)
- vaccination is the most effective method
- compulsory vaccinations: eg. BCG (against tc), etc.
- recommended vaccinations: eg. against seasonal Influensa
- frequent ventillation of the rooms: eg. public room, especially in winter,
when Influenza spreads easily!!!
- keeping personal hygienic rules:
- sneezing, coughing always into a handkerchief!!!
- throwing the used tissue into waste basket!
- frequent, thorough hand-wash
- having shower every day
- freguent cleaning up (with disinfectants, eg. Hypo)
- keeping clothes, personal equipments clean
Downloadable PDF file
Népegészségügyi orvostan (Public Health Medicine) (edited by. I. Ember, I. Kiss, K. Cseh), University of Pécs, Medical School, Pécs, 2013, pp.219-297.